On January 6-7, 2005 an organizing committee of youthworkers gathered to discuss the formation of a new association for United Methodist youthworkers. They discussed the need to connect youthworkers with each other for mutual support and for sharing of resources. An in depth exploration of the group’s vision for the association resulted in seeking identity as a “society” or a “movement.” The nature of the organization will be “Society” or “Movement”
* “Society” feels like the right definition of organization. 1 : companionship or association with one’s fellows : friendly or intimate interaction : COMPANY 2 : a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession
* “Movement” 2 a : TENDENCY, TREND (detected a movement toward fairer pricing) b : a series of organized activities working toward an objective; also : an organized effort to promote or attain an end (the civil rights movement)
* “Movement” needs to be in our identity statement. The association continues to take shape. But it has not been really named – the steering committee decided just to keep calling it the YouthWorker Movement. It is a movement helping youthworkers become more effective in reaching youth for Christ. It is a society creating bonds among youthworkers as they seek to increase their own faith while helping to shape the faith of teens. As this movement grows, the result will be people networking, sharing ideas, producing energy, yielding valuable content, and the growth of leaders.
Members can expect:
* A membership made up of the most experienced and the least experienced youthworkers and others in between
* A great website that connects people wherever they are
* People gatherings for learning and reunion
* Partnerships with companies that support youth ministry
* Free and reduced-cost resources for ministry
* Local youthworker associations in many areas
The YouthWorker Movement is an arm of the Center for Youth Ministry Excellence. The Center for Youth Ministry Excellence is a 501(c)(3) organization. All contributions to the YouthWorker Movment and the Center for Youth Ministry Excellence are tax-exempt to the extent provided by law.
PO BOX 830490 Richardson, Texas 75083